Sunday, July 29, 2007

Bittersweet Symphony

Yay! I've officially survived my first week in the uni that I love oh so much (can you taste the sarcasm?). The past week was busy busy busy. We had to fight for the lectures and tutorials that we wanted (so that our fridays are free of course), buy books and notes and on top of that I was involved in an event called Symphonyfest.

Symphonyfest is like a day for anyone who play or appreciate music to gather and have fun. It was a one day event but I was too tired to go for the morning session so I only went for the night performances and boy were they good. The classical and jazz orchestra, indian orchestra and chinese orchestra accompanied by the uni's choir members opened the show and they were totally awesome seeing that most of them only had a week to practise. The only down side was the choir's choice of song which was Belaian Jiwa and Warisan, too common for my taste.

But the performance that I was really looking forward to was by the gamelan group and they definitely did not dissapoint me. They totally rocked the night! The music that they played was so hypnotizing and by the end of the night I had convinced myself to learn to play an instrument (I think everyone who went left feeling like that ahhaha). Watching them play made me a little jealous that they have that talent. I definitely regret not learning to play an instrument when I was younger, sigh. But its ok my friend promised to teach me how to play drums and I'm now enrolled in gamelan ii so at least I'm making some progress, right?

After the students finished showing their talents and proving to people that we can also rock in music eventhough we are an engineering and technology university, the stage was given to two local artists, Cheryl Samad and Altimet. Cheryl opened with a big thank you for inviting her 'all the way' to tronoh (thats where the uni is located, fyi) which had the audience laughing cos we know that tronoh is like in the middle of nowhere but she thought that we were laughing cos she got the name wrong so that was pretty funny. Aaanyways they were actually here to promote their first albums respectively and sang a few songs for us. And honestly they were not bad. So support local artist yo!

The event ended at around 11.30 and I was suppose to stay for post event briefing till 2am so obviously I bailed and instead followed my friends out to mamak muahaha. Well here are some photos I took with my phone (which would explain the quality)

All rise!
Gamelan Group
Choir singing Jalur Gemilang accompanied by CNJ
Chinese Orchestra
The day will come...

Song of the moment : The Vines - Homesick

2 comments:

pinkpau said...

gamelan! the first time i ever heard of it was when u told me. saw ppl playing that at the rainforest fest in kuching and that was cool. cheryl samad is as cute as a button.

aira faster come bak!

tripleAR said...

gamelan rox!

ahhaha i'll be back this week!