Thursday, March 11, 2010

Splishy Splashy

When I was a kid, weekends or school holidays were spent in front of the tv at 10am to catch the latest movie (mostly Disney) TV3 was showing, before there was Astro. Movies like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and it’s many sequels, The Mighty Ducks, Homeward Bound and The Little Rascals (I miss this movie!) just to name a few.

One movie that I particularly remember was some sort of a musical featuring these poor kids selling newspaper on the streets. It kinda had an oliver twist feeling towards it I suppose. I didn’t really give much thought about it until the moment when I was looking through vcds at a shop and suddenly the movie came rushing into my mind and there was this need to watch it again. But I couldn’t for the sake of me remember the title and that bothered me so much (those who know me knows I can’t let go of things easily).

So from that day every time I go to a vcd shop I would browse through their collection looking for it but I never found it. Then came the internet era and there was hope yet again. So at this time all I could remember was that it was a musical, there were kids selling newspaper and there was this cute guy in it. I did all the possible search I could, anything you could possibly think of, I did it. “kids selling newspaper musical”, “extra! Musical” (I thought the title had the word extra in it which was wrong no wonder la fail to find it), “musical kids extra”, “musical newspaper” and the list goes on. I even browse through child actors’ photo to see if any of them might be the cute guy. I was damn determined to find it but I didn’t even come close to identifying it so I gave up yet again and slowly started forgetting about it.

Over the years there are times when the memory would crawl back into my mind so I’ll start searching again but I didn’t really put much effort into it like before. Then I literally forgot about it. That’s when they say you’ll find it right? Turns out its true! (But it took damn long lor) Just now I was sorting out movie titles on a website and there it was number 5 on the list, Newsie! Okay so it didn’t like jump out at me cause it was such a long time ago plus out of the possible title I thought of Newsie was never considered. But I was intrigued how come this movie that I have never heard of was number 5 in the list so I imdb-ed it and there it was! This was the movie I was searching for all those years ago!

I’m over the moon right now :D I love this feeling of rediscovering a part of your childhood that you have forgotten about. It brings this calmness in me and a good reassuring that everything will be fine. Oh and btw you wouldn’t believe who the cute guy is.

Christian Bale! (If he was an unknown actor I might actually not kick myself for never figuring that out).


Song of the moment : Florence + the Machine - Dog Days are Over(Acoustic)

No comments: